Filing a Hospice Care Complaint

Most hospice providers in the US are regulated by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and most hospice patients are enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid. HFA does not monitor or regulate hospice providers and is unable to assist with individual hospice care complaints. If you would like to file a complaint about the care you or a loved one has received, refer to the information below fom CMS.

If the hospice is providing care currently and you want to change providers because you are dissatisfied with care, this is allowed once every other benefit period. To do this, first check to make sure that the patient's insurance is accepted by the new hospice provider. Paperwork that documents the transfer from one provider to another must specify the provider, the date the new provider will begin care, and date the transfer occurs. Both the previous hospice and the new hospice will be familiar with paperwork requirements. 

Learn more about filing a hospice complaint

These resources from the Center of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will help you determine whether you should file a complaint and provide guidance on how to file.

What is Immediate Advocacy?
Click here for general information about Immediate Advocacy and how it can help.

File a Complaint
Click here for information to help you determine whether you should file a complaint.

Video - Ways to file a complaint
Watch this video to learn two ways to file a complaint with your State Health Department or with a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) health care oversite organization. 

State Survey Agency Listing
Click here for a listing of state survey agencies.

Medicare Rights
Click here to review your medicare rights.